- About the Competition
- Competition Objectives
- Design Requirements
- Modeling Requirements
- Competition Timeline
- Terms & Conditions
- Judging Criteria
- Submission Requirements
- Submission Methods & Format
- CATIA Video Tutorial
- SOLIDWORKS Video Tutorial
About the Competition
“Do you have a product design that will ease the lives of Malaysians during natural disasters or accidents?”
Why this theme?
With major natural disasters and accidents happened in Malaysia back in 2014, this time we want to see a portable product design that is impactful and revolutionary that you could commercialize it to help more Malaysians in face with such scenario.
- To discover design talents and unleash their creativity in product design and innovation.
- To demonstrate the capabilities of the industrial problem solving.
- To promote innovation in 3D design in institutes of higher learning (IHL) and industry.
- The end product should be portable and prove to solve difficult situation during natural disaster or accident.
- The end product should have a duration of use of at least 3 to 6 months.
- Prototyping the product.
- Total production cost can be equal or less than RM500.
- Must include proof of concept.
- Using SolidWorks or CATIA tool.
- The product design must take consideration of manufacturability.
- Must be designed in 3D.
- Must be designed using SOLIDWORKS / CATIA software.
- Must be designed from scratch using SOLIDWORKS / CATIA. Use of imported geometry is not allowed except for standard or purchased parts.
Terms & Conditions
- Entry submission must be submitted by individual or maximum of THREE (3) persons per group.
- Each company may select the Best FIVE (5) entries to participate in this competition.
- Complete SOLIDWORKS or CATIA database required to be submitted. Incomplete database will result in deduction of marks.
- Entries will be judged by panel of judges, comprising of the representatives from IME, industry associations and partners.
- The participating institution or company shall approve the use of images created from parts and assemblies provided by the student or engineer (thereafter known as participant) for use in marketing materials to be produced by the organiser and its assigns. Participant grants the organiser and its affiliates, and assigns, the right to use, reproduce, or incorporate in any manner whatsoever all or any portion of the aforementioned images.
- Participant represents and warrants that the materials are owned by the student participant and is free and clear of any liens or claims of any third-party, that the participant has a legal right to grant the permission herein given, and the participant will indemnify and hold harmless the organiser, its affiliates, assigns, agents, and employees, against liability should any third-party claim that the use of the materials by the organiser and its affiliates, assigns, agents, and employees, violates any right of such third party to the materials.
- The participating institution or company shall hereby grant the organiser permission to cite this institution on a general client list for possible distribution to the press, analysts, prospects, and other customers.
- The organiser shall not be held liable and responsible for any damages or claims for any damages or loss of documents or products before or after the competition.
- All participants are encouraged to register their designs under the relevant industrial design and intellectual property laws in force in Malaysia and to keep all documentations as proof of ownership before sending and displaying their designs to the organiser.
- The organiser shall inform the participants if their submissions are selected for further development.
- The organiser and/or panel of judges reserve the rights to alter competition terms and conditions which deemed necessary, in the best interest of this competition.
Creative & innovative design
Ability to proof of concept
Ability to apply systematic design methodologies, marketing plan and business plan
*Top 10 finalists will be short listed based on the first three criteria.
*All finalists must submit prototype on final presentation.
*The judging criteria above will be reevaluated during finals with an additional 10% on stage presentation.
To evaluate the ability of a creative and innovative design:-
- The only one of its kind
- Different with existing characteristics
- Reconfigure the value to enhance uniqueness.
- Useful or general purpose
- Concern with experience or actual use
- Value for money
- Value for time
- 3D SOLIDWORKS or CATIA Model (the model must be 100% created from SOLIDWORKS or CATIA).
- 2D Drawing for main assembly with basic dimension, BOM, section view, exploded view with critical portion.
- Design & Idea Development Report that contain:
• The study & research (market research, background study and etc)
• Design Methodology.
• Proof of concept (can include image or animation).
• Design advantages highlight.
- You must include your SOLIDWORKS or CATIA product serial number to create the design & modeling.
- High resolution images: Images must at least 300 DPI and approximately 86 x 64 mm (3.4 x 2.5 inches) in size, or greater; or the image must be large enough so that the density will be print quality when the image is reduced to these dimensions. The preferred formats are JPEG and TIFF with preferred image dimensions of approximately 1800 x 1200 pixels, or greater.
Submission Methods & Format
- Save files in a main folder: Design Folder Name (University name_Faculty_Group Name
- Create 6 sub folders with EXACT folder names as below :
|SOLIDWORKS / CATIA Design Data||Use pack and go to store SOLIDWORKS/CATIA parts, assembly drawing files, image for photo-rendering|
|Photo Rendering||To store rendered image.|
|E-drawing||To store e-drawing file.|
|Video||To store avi file.|
|Design & Ideas Development Report||To store document in Microsoft Word format.|
|SOLIDWORKS / CATIA Serial Number||To store print screen image of SOLIDWORKS/CATIA .|
- Submit your files by:
- Zipping all files and send to email@example.com
- (hand-over/postage) to organizing committee or
- Submit to Organizer office at:30, Jalan PJS 1/46, 46150 Petaling UtamaPetaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan
|Analysis Part||Analysis & Simulation|
|DMU Kinematics Joint Tutorial||DMU Kinematics Tutorial|
|2.Collision Detection||8.Interference Detection|
|4.Design Validation||10.Material Apply|
|5.Design For Manufacturing||11.Mechanism|
Check out the video demo below:
Design For Manufacturing